Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Cacerolazo"


My first night back in BA after a two week visit to SF was a bit of a culture shock. To ease the transition and my jet lag I went to my favorite park for a power walk around the lake near our apartment. On my way home around 8pm I noticed cars honking their horns wildly at all of the intersections and people hanging off their balcony on ritzy Libertador Avenue banging pots and pans. The noise was unmistakable and deafening. Something was going on. I got home and asked Hugh "what the hell is going on!" It's called "cacerolazo" - a pots and pans banging protest (just google this on youtube and there are a ton of videos). Its all over the city and it goes on every night for an hour starting at 8pm. Right now I hear it outside and it is starting to sound like a harmonizing samba. Its the Argentines saying "we've had it! we won't be pushed around by this govt anymore!" I've never been in the midst of such a widespread and organized protest. Recently, the govt raised export taxes on a variety of farm products including soybeans (the most profitable) and beef. This means taking money away from the farmers and higher prices for city dwellers. This is bad news for everyone - except those in government who may be taking some of this excess tax money for their own private swiss accounts. In Buenos Aires we bang pots and pans every night in support of the farmers. In the country "el campo", people are staging protests that block traffic - not allowing large shipments of food to go through. Prices of beef have skyrocketed and inventory is low. Our local carniceria has maybe 10 cuts of meat when he usually has 60. No one knows how this will turn out. So far, President Christina Kirchner isn't budging and says she will not be bullied by these demonstrations. Our friend Clara sent us an email about a big protest tomorrow night in Plaza de Mayo in front of the Pink House. Everyone is to wear a green teeshirt in support of the farmers. Hugh and I both want to go but I must admit I'm a bit leary after seeing today's news photos of bloody encounters in the streets between protestors and police. For now we join the chorus of clang clackity clack...

No comments: