Tuesday, April 1, 2008

BA Bump Watch





It all started with the Evatest - Argentina's "EPT" pregnancy predictor. Ok, well it started before that but I've got to leave some things to the imagination. 3 days late I ran to the farmacia and the Evatest pee stick revealed two pink lines (one line means no, two lines is a definite yes). I was ecstatic and Hugh nonplussed. "those tests don't mean anything - don't you have to wait awhile and do at least a few more before you know for sure?" I didn't need to take another. Mother's intuition kicked in and I just "knew". I had actually known several days before when I felt the implantation cramp. Thanks to yoga I am in tune with my body's every slight movement and change. The cramp was nothing like the dull aching menstrual kind that also gets you in the low back. This was a sharp stab in the uterus that went away after just a second or two. For quick reference I consulted my Anatomy Coloring book and confirmed my suspicions. The zygote had made its way up the fallopian tubes and had burrowed into my uterine wall. Success!

My body started to change immediately. Of course, next was Googling "pregnancy symptoms". I checked them all off. Bigger swollen breasts (hello free boob job for the formerly flat chested!), bloating, moodiness (weepy weepy), extreme fatique (two naps a day and still tired), constipation, heightened sensitivity to smell (I am like the bionic woman - able to detect malodor from blocks away, yuck bus fumes, cigarette smoke and cat urine) nausea (though thank god no vomiting) and strange food cravings and aversions. Orange juice is my new best friend, also oranges, tomato sauce with or without pasta, grapefruit soda, plain rolls (helps the nausea), lemon popsicles. Pesto and too much garlic no likey. I miss my mercury laden cans of tuna fish and sadly passed on sashimi while visiting San Francisco although I partook in unagi rolls and miso soup.

There's nothing to really "see" just yet other than a slightly widening backside (not a good photo op). I did stop by a few maternity stores in SF just for fun and came across this cute black number that will do just fine for my sis's wedding in May. (hello crazy liquidation markdown to $20!) The store had one of those fake tie on preggo bellies - not exactly realistic looking but at least I know there's room to grow.

Yesterday we got our first peek at what's inside. Looks like a tadpole with a big head. 4 centimeters long and doing fine so far. As I am in my 12th week I can officially announce what I have known and accepted since the implantation cramp nearly 3 months ago....I'm going to be a mommy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! Congratulations to you and Hugh!

That's so awesome :o)