Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fermenting




While shopping at Birite market in the Mission early in the trip, Joni and I noticed a sign promoting an upcoming class on fermentation - how to make your own sauerkrat. I was immediately interested having just learned a ton about the benefits of probiotics in the nutrition portion of my yoga course. Got to get more of that healthy bacteria in my gut! So we signed up and went the following Wednesday night for a few hours of chopping cabbage, carrots and other goodies for homemade kraut and kimchee. You can see me pictured there "massaging" the cabbage to bring out the liquid. It was oddly satisfying to dig deep in a pile of sweating shredding vegetable. We each brought home a jar to sit on the counter and ferment away. I tasted Joni's before I left SF and it was tasty and ready to put in the fridge. Now that I know how to make it, I'll being krauting my own here in BA.

No comments: