Thursday, March 27, 2008

One year anniversary

Last week marked my first full year living in BA. I spent it at a distance literally and figuratively - visiting San Francisco for the first time since leaving. It was a busy two weeks. Thought I'd have hours to stroll the steep hills and lounge at Dolores Park but between a one week intensive yoga teacher training, visiting family and a few friends, and packing in as much shopping as tolerable, time got away from me. A few days before leaving BA, the requests for the "underground railroad" started pouring in. Brad wanted Crisco for a new cookie recipe. Giselle needed me to send a letter to a new guy she's seeing in Lake Tahoe. Upstairs neighbor bought 2 pairs of designer sunglasses and a handheld device from eBay that I would be smuggling back. And ex spanish tutor David wanted to buy a laptop and deliver to Joni's where I would be staying. Did I mention the 4 jars of peanut butter, 6 bags of Fritos, Harpers and Vanity Fair magazines Hugh requested? I had my mind set on a dozen yoga books and CDs, a few writing books for my writers group, new socks and any good deals on sweaters for the upcoming chilly winter months. Needless to say I filled up the second empty suitcase I brought along with me and had to pay $50 extra for the weight thanks to all the books.

Being back in SF felt both comfortingly familiar and distant - like it doesn't belong to me anymore even though I know every inch of it like my own skin. My greatest indulgence was breathing in the crisp clean air. I don't miss the fresh air on a regular basis in BA since I've become accustomed to the pungent streets but I did appreciate the lack of odor in SF once I stepped outside. Food wise I went deep in Japanese. Many meals of noodle soups, sushi and grilled cod with veggies. On my more nostalgic days I visited old haunts Tao in the Mission for the Mien Ga soup, Good Frikin Chicken, and Birite market for their roasted turkey and swiss sandwich. I also fit in a double Mitchells ice cream cone, an extravagant evening at Slanted Door with nearly the whole fam, Ebisu sushi and a downtown lunch at my fav Japanese deli at the Ferry Market Delica. My asian cravings were well satiated. When I got back yesterday Hugh took me to a local parilla and I ate a big steak and creamed spinach. Back on the Argentine diet.

I didn't get to see everyone I had hoped to and I didn't have as much time to spend with the people I did see. Impossible to squeeze in a year of catching up in a few hours - that will be a theme no doubt as long as we live so far from our family and friends. Hopefully the blog can continue to fill in some of the gaps.

No comments: