Thursday, May 29, 2008

Suicide Watch



I guess its no surprise after just a few harried days my body rebelled in a most unpleasant way forcing me to stay in bed with furried friends Utta and her cousin Dudley. I followed the "agenda" starting with early wake up on Saturday and walking all day, entertaining, eating, visiting, running around and stressing over each persons issues, travel needs and inconveniences until Monday night. Auntie Brenda, Hugh and I ordered take out from Garbis - a local middle eastern place that we frequent every so often. Then Brenda and I got massages at the spa down the street. Still not sure whether it was the undercooked Keppe al horno (most likely cause), the deep shiatsu just one hour after eating, or the previous three days of nonstop entertaining. At midnight I went to bed with a tightness in my chest just at the top of my ribcage that smelled of a heartburny something. At five in the morning I woke up with wretching pains in my stomach which moved from one side to the other and up and down. I knew something was wrong but I tried to ignore it hoping that falling back asleep would just melt it away somehow. Two agonizing hours later I got up and staggered in to my aunts room in tears - sure that something was wrong with the baby. Panic set in. She calmed my nerves and laid me down in her room but the pain wouldn't stop. Twenty minutes later I dashed to the bathroom and vomited what seemed like four full meals. Made two more such ladylike excursions to the porcelain god that morning before I finally accepted the truth - I was sick and out of commission for the day. It was a great disappointment as we were scheduled to take the train to San Isidro for my sisters hair and makeup trial. I made a half-hearted attempt to dress and my mom, sister and aunt put me back to bed with stern warnings to rest. The dogs stayed with me all day and when Hugh got home he said it looked like we were all on "suicide watch". There was a party for all the wedding guests that night that I had to miss too but by the next day the episode had passed and I got back on the wedding wagon.

No comments: