Thursday, May 1, 2008

A second chance




Sunday afternoon I read a second time at the US Embassy booth at the Feria de Libros. This time it was considerably more crowded at the fair, we had use of a microphone and speaker which drew in a crowd and several of my friends showed up to support me. I opted not to pimp my new pregnancy curves in a sexy red tango dress but still enticed more than a few passerbys with my writerly lenses. I read the same story but this time read first in English which delighted the Argentines always looking for ways to practice their second language. Many followed along with with the book. Then I read again in Castellano. I earned my first Argentine fan - a strawberry headed grandmother with smeared candy lipstick who asked me to autograph her book. Wednesday I attended the US sponsored Big Band concert and met the US ambassador to Argentina. Saturday, my writers group will attend the Tom Wolfe reading (one of the big highlights of the book fair) and a special reception held at the Ambassadors residence - hello free food and booze!!! oh, yeah, I won't be boozing it but...I'll definitely be foodin-it. My involvement with this year's fair ends next week at a workshop entitled "How to Launch a Writing Career Using the Internet". Today the Thursdays@Three writers group met for a practice run and to get our duckies in order. Its been a long time since I had to organize thoughts so logically and visions of Powerpoint presentations (describing the strategy for the plan to the plan for next "Q1") came flooding back. I'm presenting the piece on blogs - how to, why would ya, and some tips on keeping readers interested. In the process of researching a bit for my talk I found out one of the top 10 most popular blogs is a site dedicated to silly photos of cats. Yes, technology is transforming our lives!!! We think the seminar will get good attendance. as resources for Argentine writers are limited and infrequent.

No comments: