Saturday, April 26, 2008

Not a Pro at the Feria de Libros





Last night I made my debut at the annual Feria de Libros/largest book fair/event in the world. I read a short story at the US Embassy booth in the exhibit hall. They set up a presentation area to accomodate 15 cushion seats and a small table. I was nervous not knowing what to expect and also having to read out loud in spanish. Three of my writer friends attended for support and another 4 portenos stopped in, plus 3 of the embassy staffers. So, it was an intimate and manageable crowd. Unfortunately, the exhibit hall loudspeaker blared music and occasional announcements so I had to practically scream to be heard. I tried to be expressive, even theatrical in my reading so that the attendees would get something even if they couldn't hear it all. I read a piece called "Momentos de revelaciones divinas". The woman who translated my story must've done a good job because the portenos seem to appreciate it. At the end, I handed out copies of our recently published compilation of short stories. Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to read again in the afternoon and each of the writers in the Thursdays@Three group are scheduled for readings throughout the next two weeks. One of the embassy staffers emailed today that they purchased a mic and speaker which should improve things quite a bit and also lure in more people.

After the reading, my next door neighbor Lan read some of her Tango-themed poems (also translated into spanish) from one of her four published books. (a strange colliding of worlds that we both got involved with the embassy program at the Feria this year through different channels) She drew a larger crowd and I learned a lot about how to "put on" a reading from a real pro. Note to self for next time: wear candy-apple red tango dress slit up to the top of thigh and high heeled red shoes. Red lipstick to match - think Broadway musical. Also, stand and read using lots of movement. Turn from side to side, tap foot to mimic tango steps (if applicable) and look up every few seconds to make sure people are still with you. Make reference (at least 5x) to the book you are reading from - gives credibility. Bring prop such as 5x6ft blown up image of a crowded milonga (argentine dance hall) and hang it behind or next to speaking area.

Later, the writers group dined at a nearby fondue place. An apt way to acknowledge the work we've put into the book these past months and an excuse to socialize outside of our weekly afternoon setting. Halfway through the meal I had to unbutton and unzip my jeans (only my loosest ones fit now) all the way. Project uterine expansion advanced significantly this week. I've gained about 7 or 8 pounds so far. The distribution appears to be 3 in the boobs, and rest in the butt and hips - lucky me! I post this photo because everyone keeps asking to see "the bump". In the morning there's not much there but it gets progressively bigger throughout the day depending on my level of activity and what I'm eating (these days lots of pickles - the little vinegary ones and my homemade sauerkraut).

No comments: