Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Retreat to the beach




Last weekend Gaby emailed to say she was going to her parents beach shack at Las Toninnas for the weekend - "Did I want to come?" I packed my bags with a swimsuit, suncreen, two yoga mats and a hat. It was perfect timing to get away from the smokey city and get a final hit of summertime warm (the weather predicted low to mid 70s). We left Friday night, sipping mate all the 5 hour drive and stopped at a roadside parrilla for dinner. I feasted on the best grilled chicken I've ever had and Gaby ate "lechon" - a kind of pork that comes from baby pigs): I tried it and it was tender. She also told me about a cut of pork that comes from pigs that are still suckling their mothers milk - it's the ultimate delicacy. Poor baby piggies is all I can think.

Both nights I slept 10 1/2 hours. It was completely silent a the beach shack. Its off season now so the town of Las Toninnas was nearly deserted except for a few "viejos" (old people) that live there year round. We had the beach to ourselves and spent the days chatting and dozing in the warm sol. I finished rereading Joan Didion's The Year of Miracle Thinking and did a lot of writing too. Saturday night I took a power walk at sunset while Gaby ran. I filled my pockets with the most beautiful coral, plum, indigo and pumpkin stripped sea shells. I couldn't stop collecting them once I started though haven't had the urge to gather ocean trinkets since I was about 9 years old. That night we ate out at a nearby more populated town called Santa Teresita. I tried a local fish called "Lisa" and Gaby had octopus spagetti. My fish was prepared castellian style in a paella-like pan with sauteed tomatoes, potatoes, red peppers, onion, olive oil and lots of fresh herbs. Both days we did yoga on the sand just 10 feet from the water.

No comments: