Saturday, September 22, 2007

Thursday nights







I've been remiss posting photos from various outings so here are a few from the last few Thursday nights with the Girls. The first two are from a wine tasting at my place. We had 7 different wines (all red) ranging from 10 pesos (about $3US) to 29 pesos. I wrapped the bottles (quite elegantly don't ya think with the grocery bags) to hide the labels so we could sniff, swirl and attempt to guess the cheapest to the most expensive. My friend and former spanish tutor David would call this kind of activity very "Cheto". Means snooty or "richy". He says the activity of wine tasting isn't really done here - only by a few since the industry here is relatively new - only 5 years ago most younger people drank beer not wine. Well we had a great time as usual. The remaining shots are from the prior week - a visit to one of the few Greek restaurants in town - called Mykonos. Food was tasty but nothing noteworthy (hmmm I just had a flashback to a fabulous meal at Kokkari my fav mediterranean spot in SF). they had the obligatory line dancing and plate smashing. Last night we tried Japanese. I'd purposely avoided this type of food here as I knew it would disappoint and why burst the bubble? Well, yes. not stomach churning but I won't be back. The problem with sushi here is that there are only two types of fish available - salmon or a white river fish called merzaluna. So, how many ways can you put salmon on rice wrapped in seaweed and have it taste different? it doesn't. so Portenos think sushi is a salmon roll. unfortunately i know better. god help me if i ever stop eating meat and pasta....

No comments: