Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Someday arrived

A few years ago I was browsing through a bookstore (one of my fav activities) and came across a book by Julia Cameron called The Artists Way. Thumbing through it I was seduced by its premise - take part in these simple daily activities and you too can draw out the artist within. It seemed obvious yet so elusive in that moment. I was working 12+ hour days, stressed all the time, physically and emotionally spent. I knew reading through that book that I had neither the real time nor energy to dedicate to such a "frivolous" endeavor and yet I longed for it. I bought the book with the fantasy that "someday" I'd really sit down and read it, more importantly incorporate some of the artistic principles into my daily life.

Someday arrived last Thursday at 3pm. I signed up for a Creative Writing course taught by a somewhat crunchy, reddish haired middle aged woman from Portland. Her background impressed me (www.instarwriting.com) - Masters in Screenplays, Doctorate in Communication, lived in BA more than 4 yrs, currently working on a book. And beyond that, she looked nice, inviting with a spark of mischief. We met at a cafe in Palermo Soho. 8 other women showed up - all mid 30s and 40s, brainy, bookish and serious about improving their writing. Two different women from England - each had coupled with Argentine men more than 10 years ago and had perfect spanish accents. Others were American but true expats, not just passing thru for a year or 6 months. Women making a life here like me. The Prof "Susanna" did some lecturing but it was mostly discussion style. Introduce a theme and ask for input. "Why do people think small - why is this more common with women?", "Why is getting honest feedback on your writing so important" "How has the business of writing changed? What's needed now to Market one's writing in order to get published". Then we moved on to some fun and introspective exercises. Spent 10 minutes on a "Free write" - just writing on one of 3 themes and don't stop (I was never, I was always, if only) - just to warm up and get the junk out. Then she read the first half of several sentences and we had to finish..."If it weren't so foolish I would...", "If it weren't so expensive I would...", "If I were 21 again I would...", "If I were another person...", "If I gave in to my secret dream I would...", "As my own best friend, I would really cheer if I saw myself ..." Then we did a few silly exercises to poke a bit of fun at writing. Picking from a list of selected words, we had to construct newspaper headlines for trashy tabloids "340 lb Blind Queen Caught in Vampire Monastary" and the like. A few more exercises and discussion and we were over for the day. Time flew and I had so much fun - felt really inspired. Yes. This is why I came to Argentina. The next day in my "free write aka morning pages" time at home I wrote a short piece about an Enormous Purple Elephant. Who knew I had a purple elephant waiting to come alive? What, who else is in there?.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey!
Loved that book, "Artist's Way." It helped me a lot, not just to let out my creative juices. You'll be amazed what the exercises bring out! Congrats on taking the writing course (a new career, maybe?).
Besitos!!!!