Thursday, September 6, 2007

El campo





If these images seem oddly familiar, don't worry you're not going crazy. Yes we went back to the La Candelaria estancia for the second time in a month. This time for 3 days, 2 nights of galloping on polo ponies, playing tennis on clay courts surrounded by eucalyptus trees, long foresty walks with Utta to visit cows and other non citified beasties, asados galore (see charred skinned something or other over the fire) and quiet. Ever since our visit my birthday weekend we both ached to return. Not sure if its the magic of this particular estancia and its lush french countryside like gardens or a more simple need to get away from the roar of the city more often than not. Lately we have been rethinking our plan. 5 months of intensive searching for the perfect apartment in the city has yielded little more than an education in "how things work" in south america. At first I was disappointed. I thought by now we'd be a bit more "settled". We'd have a permanent residence and I'd have my jr. high and high school yearbooks neatly tucked away in my new escritorio/library. Another fantasy gone bust. So, our lease is up end of September. Looking now for a new place to rent for another 6 months - ideally closer to the parks. As the temperature climbs, Utta's capacity for long walks will diminish. Need to find a way for us to be one or two blocks from green space for our Precious. Plan B is to buy or keep renting a small place in the city and start looking for a weekend home (very common here) that we can escape to on a regular basis. Our own slice of La Candelaria.

In the meantime, I am alone in South America. Aren't we all completely alone anyway? Ok, a bit dramatic sounding but somewhat true. Hugh left last night for the US to visit friends in SF and Portland and spend time with grandma Vince Lee in Dallas who recently took a fall and broker her femur - ouchie. At first I was terrified and nervous to be here 3 weeks by myself taking care of Utta. In SF, I wouldn't think twice and would probably welcome the time alone. Here it's something altogether different. I immediate imagined all the worst case scenarios. What if Utta got sick and I couldn't get a cab that would take us to the vet? What if I got mugged on the street - who would I call and who would care? What if I forgot my keys in the apt and couldn't get back in? What if I sprained my ankle for the 3rd time - who would take care of me, of Utta? Panic mongering aside, its quiet but not in a scary way - more in a I need to be ok with some silence in my life kind of way and see what happens.

No comments: