Friday, July 13, 2007

Chick Mullet



One of my more courageous moments yet came yesterday when I ventured to a hair salon called "Cool Cuts Studio" - which in the US by name alone would ensure one to walk out with anything but a cool cut. but in BA, anytime a shop has an English word in it, means its very hip, so now. My real estate agent friend Fernanda was supposed to meet me there so we could 1) ensure there was no miscommunication between me and the stylist and 2) to grab coffee or a drink afterwards in my new fab do. Fernanda has the argentine flakiness gene so of course she didn't show up. That left me in the hands of a seemingly competent svelte argentine estilista named Alvaro. He spoke not a word of english so I tried hard to explain that I didn't want him to cut my hair short, I didn't want short bangs (circa my do in '99 - very cool retro in my mind but Hugo still cringes when he thinks of "the curtains" that adorned my forehead during that time). I told Alvaro to make me look like an "Argentina" and left it at that. Here's the end result which I have to say I'm pretty pleased with. Lots of layers and a sort of chick mullet in the back so you can still tell theres some length on it. Once it all grows out another 4 inches I'll look like every other woman on the street here. during the clip clip session, I discovered I had little to fear from Alvaro. Fernanda had good reason to recommend him. He's a stylist to the stars here - is part of the beauty team for the most famous model in Argentina named Araceli. The "People Magazine" of Argentina called "Gente" features a 10 page spread of Araceli cavorting around Brasil a few weeks ago with none other than Keifer Sutherland to promote the new Citroen. Alvaro is in a few of the pix so by association I now feel like a close personal friend of Keifer's. oh and my celebrity cut cost me all of $30 US.

No comments: