Sunday, July 15, 2007

Empanadas




Empanadas are the staple of any real Argentine diet and I've had my fair share. However, I've been a bit intimidated up until now to try my hand at making my own since its so easy and so cheap to buy them. My amigo Tonito shared an excellent recipe (handed down from his Argentine momma) so I enlisted the help of Marta who cleans our apt a few times a week. The end result was much better than I expected. So good in fact, Hugo helped himself to 10 or 11 of them that day and I brought the rest to a friends party. I made another batch a few days later - this time on my own and shared some with my running coach and spanish tutor. All agreed they were "ricisimo". I say its hard to make a bad tasting empanada with the meat here. I bought the dough from a place around the corner that makes fresh pasta and empanada shells. Next step is to attempt the dough from scratch at home. Tonitos mom's recipe filling includes ground beef, onions, green olives, hard boiled eggs, raisins, pimiento, salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amber,

These look mmm, mmm, good! All your talk of food makes me hungry, that's for sure.

I finally had time to catch up on the blog and must say you're doing a fantastic job! I know more about what's going on with you, Hugh and Utta than I did while you were in SF. :)

I was sorry to hear about your illness and sprained ankle, but very happy to hear you survived both with flying colors. If these are the only low spots in all of your adventures, you should count yourself lucky!

Keep having fun!

-Beck