Friday, June 29, 2007

Futbol




Last night went to a sports bar aptly name "Loco por el Futbol" with huge TV screens to see the Argentines pound the US in their first game in the Copa America. In Buenos Aires this tournament is second only to the World Cup. It was quite a scene - more like New Years Eve circa 1999 than a soccer match but I'm obviously not a true Porteno just yet. Argentina performed well but the locals were angry that the US chose to sit out 4 of its best players in favor of letting newer guys test out the international scene. For about two seconds I struggled with which team I should be cheering for...good thing I went with my adopted homeland or I may have been beaten up. Will be an interesting World Cup in 3 years as the US is getting better and better - some say they could actually give Brazil a run for their money if they continue to improve. Still I can't think of anyone I know in the US that really gives a hootch about soccer. What would it take for the US to adopt this sport as it has football and basketball? probably several more David Beckhams home grown with Paris Hilton flair. In the meantime, I've got a lot of futbol history to brush up on before I head out to a sports bar again in this town. wikipedia gives a good account of the Copa America. The best and most exciting player to watch is Lionel Messi seen above sporting a posh black headband which disguises the requisite futbollers mullet.

1 comment:

NonstopExpress said...

If you're feeling brave, mention how well the U.S. Under-20's did in the U-20 World Cup: defeated Brazil and Uruguay on way to the quarterfinals.

Certainly don't mention the Argentine loss in the '06 Cup.

BTW, Messi is a god in cleats.