Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Coach B and Heather visit



Ex-bootcamp coach Greg and fiance Heather arrived Friday night. His bootcamp/personal training business (www.thecityisourgym.com) has grown a ton since we left. Now he has 5 sessions a day at Dolores Park, the Marina, even a mid day workout downtown. We've been spending a lot of time reconnecting and sharing the city and argentine customs with them. The last two nights we made dinner here at our apartment. Very simple everyday food but tasty. First night we made chicken and beef milanesas (thin cuts of meat lightly breaded and then fried in olive oil). Hugh took charge of the meat and I made a light salad and we ordered empanada appetizers. Afterwards, we took Utta and walked down to Persicco our favorite gelato shop for ice cream. It rained for about 10 minutes when we got there which felt good at the moment. It was around midnight 85 degrees. Last night, I took Heather for a long walk around the lakes (where I usually run but it was too hot to run) and we stopped to visit my running coach Martin. He gave her a taste of Las Halcones and the drills we do here - similar to the bootcamp routines we did with Greg.

My latest ailment resides in my throat. I've had a constant hacking cough for the past 6 or 7 days that won't quit. It's worse at night when I lie down to go to sleep and continues every half hour or so until dawn. I kept Hugh and Utta up along with me the first several nights, then tried sleeping in the second bedroom but that didn't help much as we have to keep all doors open at night to let the air conditioning in the living room circulate cool air throughout the rest of the apartment. Everyone says its because we are overusing the a/c but dang how can you just sit in a hot stuffy apartment? Sweating. I thought the cough would eventually go away but yesterday it hadn't yet, so I spent four hours at the hospital waiting to see a doctor, being seen, going for tests (she thought maybe I had strep throat), returning for the test results, then finally giving up and going home for a nap. I'm beginning to understand why most Portenos head out of the city for the month of January.

Tonight Greg and Heather will come to the Ashtanga Yoga class that I now teach (wheeeee!!!!). This month I may rename it Hot Ashtanga Yoga as we will surely work up a sweat.

No comments: