Sunday, May 20, 2007

Milestones




last week marked two months here in buenos aires and a number of other notable events:

started thinking thoughts in spanish before the engish words came out. more importantly i can understand how to edit my blog postings via blogger. ever since i moved to south america, my blogger site comes up in espanol only so i have had to guess whether i'm doing the right things or not. i now know exactly what each of the words mean and can navigate the site as easily in spanish as i did in english....whhheeeeeeeeeeeeee

went native with Mate. learned the custom and ceremony of preparing and drinking the herbal tea seen everywhere. you're supposed to use one cup and pass it among friends. heres a shot of me tokk'n da mate at a friends asado last weekend (asado is a bbq). its kinda addicting once you get used to the flavor. it suppresses the appetite a bit and has something like caffine but not.

had a girl date with my new argentine friend laura - shopping for lingerie and then to a teahouse. nearly three straight hours of conversational spanish. my head hurt afterwards from concentrating so hard but actually had a good time without conversing in my native tongue.

started evaluating the friend circle. was fast and furious in the beginning, easy to meet people and tons of expats that like to socialize but what do we really have in common other than being foreigners in a strange new country? decided to be a bit more discriminating with my time.

survived my first "enferma" of the estomago. am carnivorous once again and feeling much better. think it was the milk (ok, and a bit of overindulgence but can you blame me?) so am now taking my coffee con leche without lactose. also sticking to more chicken and fish than bife. hugo has had no problem and loves all the different types of meat. he ate blood sausage at the asado - yuck!

hugo and i had our first in country fight. no fun but a bit of a reality check. we are really in this thing together and no running upstairs to cry on my sisters shoulder when things get rough. time to face the music, button up and take a look in the mirror. interesting that spanish has very few such expressions. how will i get my point across without them?.....