Saturday, May 26, 2007

alas, a dove




a couple of days ago while i was running through the park and feeling pretty strong, a good looking athletic argentine guy rode up beside me on his bike. at first i assumed he was trying out a new pick up line - bold but not that unusual here as the men are hardly bashful. after a few seconds though i realized he was asking me (in espanol of course) how far i'd run. not the kind of pick up line i'm used to but whatever. he handed me his business card and started telling me about a running group he facilitates called the "los halcones" in english - the falcons. he'd watched me running in the park and thought i would like the group which meets every morning from 8-9:30 and he also has an evening class from 6-7:30. he said the program was very fun but not for "doves" only for "falcons". i was elated! exactly what i had been looking for - a boot camp like outdoor class with an emphasis on running. although i love my salsa and kickboxing classes at the gimnasio, i'd been missing my greg bianchi led bootcamp www.bianchifit.com. he said the group is international (a few argentines, americans, a finnish woman and a german) and all women so some good friend potential. i came home feeling better than i had in weeks. i told hugh god sent me an angel. i planned to start with the group on monday after the long weekend.

flash forward two days....this morning i decided to get up on the earlier side and take a nice long run in the park around my favorite lake before most argentines got up. the weather has been cold but sunny and perfect for autumn like runs outside. i was feeling energetic and fit. after a few turns around the lake i head back towards home. then out of nowhere it happened. roll, snap, roll....stop....owwww....owwwww. pain. can't walk. owwwwww. f**k!!!!!!!!! its my left ankle. ( yes, the same one I sprained 3 years ago the second day of a bootcamp in the marina jumping down cement stairs (i remember going for my final round of interviews at schwab on crutches).

can't move....have to wait for the light to change 3 times before attempting to walk. how am i going to get home. i'm not even half way. try to walk a bit. shake it out, that's right. maybe its not as bad as i thought. maybe that wasn't a pop i heard. ok, who am i kidding? i can't walk home. owwwwww. owwwww. time to wave down a taxi. dammit dammit dammit!!!!! where's my angel now? come on UNIVERSE. PLEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEEEE! time to say the serenity prayer.

No comments: