Sunday, November 9, 2008

Who's in charge





If I could pick two photos to sum up the last week, these two are it (the bathtub shot is incidental). Valentina is either a monster or a typical newborn. She is happiest when held which makes sleeping or doing anything else nearly impossible. This is the first handsfree moment I've had in a week when I'm not trying to catch up on some precious zzz's. All the veterans of parenting are probably nodding, smirking and remembering their own trials of the first weeks and months.

Yesterday I walked us with stroller the one mile loop around Rosedal lake. My week of repose inside the house gave way to the spring blossoms of Jacaranda trees. Everywhere I look now the bright lavendar branches burst out for attention. This is my favorite time of year although our spring is hotter than usual (already in the 80's) About halfway around the lake I got very tired and Valentina a bit cranky. I sang her a lullaby so she'd know i was still there which seemed to soothe. When we got home I was exhausted and wanted to collapse for a two hour siesta. Instead Valentina had a crying fit that lasted an hour while I bounced her on the ball, danced, swayed and sashayed. Then she nursed and then we both slept for nearly 3 hours.

I looked around at all the baby stuff we have and to my surprise, we are using all of it. At first I thought - some of this has got to be superfluous clutter. But no, the muslin swaddles, the onesies, little hats and socks, blankets, swing, sling, burp cloths and boppys, nursing pads, and ointments. We have used everything. But, if I had to give an award to the most helpful item so far, I'd say the book I didn't even know I needed "The Happiest Baby on the Block". The 5 S's(swaddle, shush, side, swing, suck) to soothe her work miracles. That doesn't mean she wants to be put down but at least she is not screaming her head off. Thank you again Fowlers and other friends that recommended this book.

3 comments:

Dulce de Wendy said...

Hola Ambi:
I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to mamahood. I love your post being done at 4:49 am. Its amazing being a mom, love it. Leo at 12 weeks is no just sleeping through the nights more then he is waking up for midnight feeding. Enjoy this special time.
Lots of love to your family,
Wendy, Maximo and Leo

Nonna/Socorro said...

So precious. Time and sleep are two major voids that will take a few months to fill. Susie and Kurt gave birth to Mason Harris Beckett, 11/9/08, 12:19 a.m., 9lb 2.07oz, 20-1/2in. brown hair and dimples (go figure)! We are so proud and can hardly wait to hold Mason for the first time at Thanksgiving.
Love to all, Auntie Socorro

Laura said...

"Happiest Baby on the Block" was a LIFESAVER for me! I plan on giving at every future baby shower I go to. I'm glad you have found it useful and helpful. One other thing we have used since very early on is a noise machine. It has helped William become a super sleeper since about 4 months old. He can sleep without it when we travel, etc. but it just makes it so much nicer at home when there is lots of noise and no Mama in bed with him. I know some women abhor the idea but I gotta tell ya, whatever it takes to survive the first few months, DO! You can correct anything later when you are getting more sleep and have the patience and the fortitude to do so. :-)

Laura Petreyko