Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another move




We are moving this week.

After a year and a half of searching for the perfect place to buy, we've decided to put that thought on hold for awhile. The economy here is of course shaky but more than that - the real estate cycle seems to be at the tippy top - never a great time to buy. Also the govt, in an attempt to regulate the price of currency is tightening restrictions on money that comes in and out of the country - including real estate transactions. New laws cropped up in the past 6 months that would make it trickier (not impossible) for us to buy and then when we sell, well that's a whole different story. They do not want foreigners to buy and flip so when we buy, we need to be damn sure we want to live there (or can rent it out) for a good long while. All of that spells commitment. Commitment to neighborhoods and sizes of places we just aren't sure about yet. I love our current neighborhood Palermo but keep wondering whether we'll want more space or a yard with Valentina on the way.

So, we took the next logical step and are renting our first long term unfurnished apartment on a two-year lease. We decided location was more important than anything else. Then came noise factor since we currently live in the front side of a corner building where 3 major bus lines converge. Whaaaaattt did you say? I sometimes scream when Hugh is a mere 5 feet away from me in the living room.

Our new place is on the Park Avenue of streets - Avenida Libertador. Across the street is Rosedal Lake and the 1 mile runners track I visit at least 4x week (walking now of course) It's just two buildings away from the US Embassy so we've joked more than a few times, that when the civil war/riots start, we can just bungee jump from our balcony to safety inside the walls of our US friends. The apartment is "contrafrente" meaning it faces the back not from front side of Libertador and is mystically quiet. We have a balcony twice the size of our current one that looks out onto the lush manicured gardens of the American Embassy. The apartment itself is nothing special but the layout is functional and almost double the size of our current place. We had the walls painted a light buttery yellow and the chesnut wood floors are in great shape.

This week we are moving a few loads over every day. From my last trip to SF I brought back our remaining rugs, window coverings, bedding and our copper pots and pans. Everything else we must buy. Feels strange starting over literally from scratch at this age. Even when I had my first apartment in college, mom and others donated a load of kitchen supplies so I never really started from nothing. The sweet upstairs neighbor Haydee has adopted me. She comes down every day with another bag of stuff she thinks will be useful but I think is mostly crap. I do adore her and appreciate the kindness but its getting ridiculous. Yesterday she brought down a grayish floor mat (some 15 years old) that her fat cat used to sleep and pee on. Not to be an ingrate, but what, exactly am I supposed to do with that? Its so foul I wouldn't even use it to clean our floors. Of course I smiled graciously and have thanked her for each and every item she's cleaned out of her storage - broken set of espresso cups, turquoise and marine blue doile, odd sized curtain rod, two tiny floral plates, a plastic salad spinner. She keeps saying she doesn't want us to spend a fortune outfitting a new place but I have a feeling we are going to end up at Jumbo (the Price Club of BA) this weekend to just get it over with.

these photos are the view from our balcony. also one of the kitchen because its more than 3x the size of our current one and has space for a table even! wheeeeeeeeee

3 comments:

miss tango said...

Hi Ambi,
I would have emailed you instead of posting. Congratulations on expecting a baby soon. They love babies here!

Considering I am a lurker to your blog via the bloggers in argentina page, and enjoy reading others and their adventures here. It really sort of disturbed me to see your address posted. Please rethink this. Because for sure it is more than just family and friends who read your page.

Besos,
H

Tina said...

Congrats on expecting a baby and on the new place! I wasn't even aware of this blog. :-)

I second Miss Tango - for safety reasons it might not be good to have your address public :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Amber

I am a medical student from London and I cam across your blog whilst trying to contact some ostetricians in Argentina for some research I am doing.

I wondered if you would be able to help ? Basically I am trying to ascertain the opinion of medical staff and the general public to illegal abortions. I know that there is a slow movement towards leglisation but it is difficult to guage actual opinion via the internet.

In addition i am trying to learn to speak spanish !

I hope that all is well with you and your baby ... I have not read the whole of your blog so not sure if you have already had her ?

Anyway. If you do have the time I would very much appreciate any thoughts that you or your friends may have. I am sorry if this is an abuse of the whole blogging thing !


Just so you know who you are writing to. I am now a medical student ( 4th year) but used to be a police officer and before that a midwife. I have two sons who are 17 and 4 and I live near London.

My email address is elliegalloway@hotmail.com

Thanks Ellie