Thursday, June 19, 2008

Baby Brain



Last Friday Hugh and I were walking Utta around Rosedal lake and noticed something unusual. Bumper to bumper traffic along all three main arteries out of the city. Yes, it was friday. Yes, it was a 3 day weekend. But come on. This was odd. It was yet another series of road blockades as part of the three month long farmers protest against the new taxes imposed by Presidenta Kristina Kirchner. Over 30 blockades preventing access to every major autopista in the country. Good thing we axed plans to head out of town. Noone was going nowhere fast.

Sunday evening the boom of pots and pans clanging together, horns honking and protesters marching filled the typically tranquil skies. The melody continued for 20 or 30 minutes, getting angrier and louder by the minute. Every balcony from our window's view had at least one or two people on it banging away. I guess we missed the email announcement on this one.

The tension and frustration is palpable. All of my Argentine friends and acquaintances (and strangers, taxi drivers, deliverymen) whale on about it. They use words like "disaster", "worse than a dictatorship", "face of a witch" (reference to the President - "cara de bruja". It's serious enough that when our next door neighbors (americans living here for 6 months) considered buying an apartment, the real estate agent (risking lost commission) urged them to put their money elsewhere. "don't invest here now" she warned. "things are going to get a lot worse and you do not want your money in Argentina when it does".

Meanwhile back on planet Baby, I dream of butterflies and unicorns, paint in cheery tones of turquoise and cantaloupe, hum to myself and pet my belly all day. Sunday I spent the afternoon painting. I've graduated to canvas and am working on different kinds of brushstroke techniques. That evening while the whole of the outside world raged with wooden spoons, cast iron skillets and clenched fists, I perused and subsequently got lost on Babiesrus.com. After peeling my eyes away from the 30 different varieties of breast pump, I registered for the essentials so that friends and family could partake in a Virtual Babyshower. Ok, that pint-sized yoga sticky mat probably falls outside the "essentials" category but HOW CUTE! I had to include it. Its not that I don't care or worry about the situation and how it will be resolved. We are affected. Our groceries are more expensive. We canceled a weekend trip to Rosario because the roads were all closed. Our friends and neighbors talk of nothing else. but....There's a happy hormone running through my veins, clearly immune to the nonstop chaos, misery and injustice in this country and our own. I guess nature planned it that way so that each species would survive. I'm just doing my part.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amber,

I'm Tom, one of Hugh's friends from Dallas. I've just read a couple of posts here but am anxious to return when I have more time. Great to keep up with your adventurous lives. I'm in South America every December so could also serve as courier if needed.

New Adventure said...

My dear Amber,

You look terrific and every bit of the glowing Mom to be that I expected you would. I just ordered from Babies R Us website and you/the little baby girl will be receving the chime. I want to have her hear music anytime she's in her crib and know that this is a gift of love. I am doing fine. Go see my blog (dibsonblue) my dear. Hugs to Hugh. I am so proud of you. Karen

Unknown said...

Hi Amber

I am a medical student from London and I cam across your blog whilst trying to contact some ostetricians in Argentina for some research I am doing.

I wondered if you would be able to help ? Basically I am trying to ascertain the opinion of medical staff and the general public to illegal abortions. I know that there is a slow movement towards leglisation but it is difficult to guage actual opinion via the internet.

In addition i am trying to learn to speak spanish !

I hope that all is well with you and your baby ... I have not read the whole of your blog so not sure if you have already had her ?

Anyway. If you do have the time I would very much appreciate any thoughts that you or your friends may have. I am sorry if this is an abuse of the whole blogging thing !


Just so you know who you are writing to. I am now a medical student ( 4th year) but used to be a police officer and before that a midwife. I have two sons who are 17 and 4 and I live near London.

My email address is elliegalloway@hotmail.com

Thanks Ellie