Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaNoWriMO

Today marks the kick off of National Novel Writing Month - (ck out www.nanowrimo.org) and my real return to writing. My writer's group Thursdays@3 decided to participate this year - meaning each of us will write a novel during the month of November with the support of each other and the org/website that hosts the event every year.

Junot Diaz would be proud of me. It's what he urged me to do - take on an unspeakably bold goal. For someone with no time or energy, writing a novel in a month is a preposterous idea and for that I'm smitten. I have nothing to lose except feeling in my hands when I reach the 50,000 typed word goal in a month.

Today I logged just over 1,800 words (they say about 1600 per day to reach the goal of 175 pages) most written during Valentina's first nap. The rest after I put her down for the night, poured a glass of Merlot and opened a Toblerone. There is no time for perfectionism, editing, overthinking the plot, idea or whether I'm capable. There's just writing every single day for a month on a single project and sticking with it.

Whatever comes out, it'll be worth the effort because I never thought I could.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Write a novel in a month? Bake a cake in a minute. Stand on your head and bounce for 10 seconds. Perform open heart surgery in two hours. Write a symphony in one hour. Write a poem instantly. Build a car in a month. Learn to fly before lunch.... Ambi!

Okay, I couldn't pass this by without at least a little sarcasm. But actually, if it serves as an excuse to write anything at all everyday, then it has served a useful purpose.

And if it has you writing seriously again, then I will stop making jokes about it. (In spite of the temptation.)

Ambi said...

why not join the fun instead of poking fun? have you ever tried it? maybe you'll discover something new about your own novel writing? c'mon!