Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Birthday month


My friend Megan sent a birthday message a few weeks ago and commented that I "look generally unplagued by the more pedestrian parental miseries". I guess that's because when in such a state, I'm not prone to take photos of myself nor blog much about it. Let me amend that practice right now. Valen started teething again the first of the month. Her molars are coming in and have been for 4 weeks now. What does this mean? It means she chews her fingers and anything else she can get her hands on during the day and has what Babycenter.com politely refers to as "wakeful irritability" at night. She wakes up two to three times a night and has for nearly a month, every night. Every night. Sometimes she just needs to be held and rocked. Sometimes she'll go back to sleep with a bottle. It's like having a newborn again and I am deep in the abyss of severe sleep deprivation. I'm cross and downright vile in the morning. (The photo is of my great great great grandmother Sarah Anne McNanny - we bear a striking resemblance pre-caffine jolt) Hugh and I have had some douzy exchanges on the occasion that there is no milk (my peeve) or sugar (his) for the coffee. I know it can't last forever but today all I see is a blur of fatigue. Other delightful teething related miseries include daily diarrhea explosions and earaches....yea!


Valen's molar debut also coincided with a significant ramp up in my teaching schedule. I started teaching 8 classes a week (two group and six private lessons) and now know first hand what it feels like to be a busy harried sleep deprived commuting working mom. I love the yoga but miss my baby and no longer find public transportation a quaint opportunity to peoplewatch. September I'll reduce my schedule back to 4 or 5 classes a week.

My birthday came and went with little fanfare. Another August 12th - this time I'm yikes 37 and I honest to god wanted a nap - just one long nap as my gift (I didn't get it - but I'll start Indian cooking lessons next month). I did manage a dinner out with girlfriends Judith and Gaby who are living la vida loca. Judith just got back from a month long trip to Europe where she had several affairs including a threesome. Gaby is dating three different younger men right now and in no rush to settle down. I started nodding off at the table around 11:30pm - frightfully early for this town. Talk about pedestrian....

3 comments:

Lori Daub said...

Hi tired mom,

I found these other homeopathic remedies online.....if you can get to a pharmacy......
Chamomilla is a well known homeopathic remedy that is often used to soothe irritable and fussy children and it also helps to naturally relieve pain. Calc. Fluor. is a tissue salt that helps with the development of bones, teeth and skin, while Passiflora acts as a natural pain reliever, thus helping to calm and soothe your teething child.

So sorry...for all three of you. How about that great, great great grandma...with NO TEETH! Love Mom

Aja Smart Jewelry said...

Your dinner with friends sounds like a Sex and the City episode...
Lots of love to you and very late Birthday wishes too!
XOXOX Aja

Dulce de Wendy said...

Hey mama
It was great to meet Valen and bond as moms. We love you all!
Besos,
Wendy, Maximo and Leo