Friday, January 2, 2009

2009


Sleep.

I have a feeling my desire for more of and current lack of sleep will be a major theme this new year. My aunt tells me being tired is a constant state of being as a parent no matter what the age. Lovely. I rang in the new year asleep. Valentina and I stayed up until 10pm and then went down for the night after her bath and a poorly executed bedtime lullaby. I woke at midnight to the sounds of fireworks exploding outside the apartment - across the street at both plazas and the parque Rosedal. The fireworks lasted for hours. This week I learned that Argentines do fireworks so well they export them to the Chinese. There were still firework sonic booms at 7am the next morning. There appear to be no rules with regard to who can set them off or where they can be used. Grandmas to 6 year olds throw mini hand grenades into oncoming traffic for sport once a year in celebration of Ano Nuevo. Seeing it reminds me that yes, we live in a third world country. We stayed in to protect Utta who last year trembled all night from the noise. Also, because we have yet to venture out at night with or without the baby.

I am making my way back to some of my former activities. Yoga practice when I can squeeze it in at home, Thursdays@three writing group and next month I will return to teaching prenatal yoga once a week. Finding time to write is the hardest thing. Any "free" time I have is spent with my face buried in a pillow. There seems to be no catching up. The important thing is Valentina is well fed, rested and growing quickly out of her cute onesies.

No comments: